Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit the information in the appropriate columns. Enter as many events you wish.
- Month and Day are optional, but each event requires at least a Year and a Headline.
- Months must be entered as numbers, not month names.
- Events will automatically be placed in chronological order.
- Events with identical dates will appear in the same order as they are in the spreadsheet.
- Name your timeline by changing the name of the worksheet (at the bottom).
- Do not edit any cell with a blue background.
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Publish to the Web
, then click Publish.
Step 3: Get Your Flippity.net Link
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom).
- Click on the Flippity.net link to view your timeline.
Step 4: Bookmark and Share
- Bookmark the page to find it again quickly.
- Share the Flippity.net link with anyone you want to view your timeline.
Frequently Asked Questions
What multimedia can I add to the timeline and how do I do it?
- Paste the URL (address) of a picture you find on the web in the appropriate cell in the "Media" column.
- URLs must end in ".gif", ".png", ".jpg", ".jpeg", or ".webp".
- You cannot use Google Drive to store your images.
- You can use Google Drawings. Use the "Publish to the web…" link.
- Images are automatically resized to maximum of 380 pixels wide and 300 pixels high.
- YouTube Videos
- Paste the YouTube "Share this video" link in the appropriate cell in the "Media" column.
- Google Docs
- Paste the link you're given after you "Publish to the web" in the appropriate cell in the "Media" column.
Can I add ranges or time periods in addition to events?
- Sorry, no. The timeline can only incorporate individual events. Consider adding one event for the start of a time period and one event for the end instead.