Option 1: Quick & Easy
Edit the terms in the box below then click the generate button. You can separate terms with commas or line breaks. Bookmark the resulting page (Ctrl + D) to re-use it.
Option 2: Google Sheets
Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit the Terms. The more terms you use, the more likely it is you'll need to scroll up and down to see all the cards. The AltTerms column is optional. If you use it, players match each term to its alternate. If you leave it blank, players match pairs of terms (terms are automatically duplicated).
- Enter as many terms as you wish, but the more terms, the harder it is to see all cards.
- Label your matching game by changing the name of the worksheet (at the bottom).
- Do not edit any cell with a blue background. Do not change the order of the worksheets (tabs).
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Publish to the Web
, then click Publish.
Step 3: Get Your Flippity.net Link
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom).
- Click on the Flippity.net link to test out your game.
Step 4: Bookmark and Share
- Make a shortcut or bookmark to get back to the game whenever you want to play.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use pictures in my matching game?
- Paste the URL (address) of a picture you find on the web in the appropriate cell.
- URLs must end in ".gif", ".png", ".jpg", ".jpeg", or ".webp".
- You cannot use Google Drive to store your images.
- You can use Google Drawings. Use the "Publish to the web…" link.
- Images are automatically resized.
- (Be sure you have the legal right to use each image.)
Can I use EquatIO to add math equations?
- Yes, but after you insert your equation images into the spreadsheet, you'll need to make a few changes:
- E.g. change =IMAGE("https://equatio-api.texthelp.com/svg/%5Cfrac%7B3%7D%7Bx-2%7D") to
- Tip: Once you have inserted all your EquatIO equations, use Find/Replace to remove all instances of
=IMAGE(" and ")
Can I use Desmos graphs?
- Yes, just paste the Desmos share link in the appropriate cell.
Can I embed my own audio recordings?
- Yes, by using Vocaroo.com.
- Record or upload your audio and click "Save."
- Copy the link you see under "Sharing options" and paste it in the appropriate cell.
- (The link should look like this: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0hjIx1Etnc9.)
- (Vocaroo recordings expire after a few months.)
Are there any other options?
- You can change the color of the card deck on the Options tab.
- Choose Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, or Black.
- You can also use your own custom image by pasting the URL (address) of the image instead of picking a color.
- You can customize the text that is shown when the game is completed.
- You can change the type of game played.
- Memory starts with all cards upside down. Players need to flip cards over and remember their positions in order to make matches.
- Matching starts with all cards visible. Players simply need to select matching cards.
- You can change the image that appears in the background.
- You can also choose one of four different fonts: Poppins, Balsamiq Sans, Special Elite, and Tinos.