Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit all the badge data and student names.
- Label the class/group by changing the name of the worksheet (at the bottom).
- Do not edit any cell with a blue background.
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Publish to the Web
, then click Publish.
Step 3: Get Your Flippity.net Link
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom).
- Click on the Flippity.net link to view your Flippity Badges Earned page.
Step 4: Bookmark and Share
- Bookmark the page to find it again quickly.
- Share the Flippity.net link with anyone you want to view the badges.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set-up my badges?
- You can use any image you find on the web as a badge.
- Paste the URL (address) to the badge image in the appropriate column of the Badge Image URL row.
- URLs must end in ".gif", ".png", ".jpg", ".jpeg", or ".webp".
- You cannot use Google Drive to store your images.
- You can use Google Drawings. Use the "Publish to the web…" link.
- Badges are automatically be resized to 100 pixels high (with proportional width).
- (Be sure you have the legal right to use each image.)
- Add a title for each badge in the appropriate column of the Badge Title row. (The title displays when you mouse-over the badge.)
- Add an "X" (or any text at all) in the appropriate column of the Badges Available row to have that badge show up in the "Badges Available" section of the front page.
- Use the Badge Information row to type short explanations or instructions for each badge.
- Add a valid URL in the Badge Link row to create hyperlinks to resources, examples, or further instructions.
How do I award badges?
- Fill in the names of your students in the first column.
- Place an "X" (or any text at all) under the appropriate badge for corresponding student.
How do I place extra stars on the badge?
- Place one asterisk (*) for each star you want displayed on the badge in the appropriate cell.
- You can use anywhere from zero to three stars.
- Stars will be centered on square images. Results will vary on rectangular images.
Can I award partial badges or indicate progress toward earning a badge?
- Yes, you can display a progress bar underneath badges that have not yet been completely earned.
- Type a decimal (e.g. 0.25) or a fraction (e.g. 1/4) in the appropriate cell.
- Progress must be a number between 0 and 1. You may not use percentages (e.g. 25%).
- You may use progress in conjunction with stars (e.g. 0.25**).
How do I update my badge information?
- Make sure Automatically republish when changes are made is checked, then go ahead and make changes to your Google Spreadsheet. Your changes will automatically be reflected in the Flippity page, no need to get a new link.
Can I list more than 50 badges?
- Yes, but you'll need a special template. To list up to 200 badges, start with this template.
Can I protect accounts so students can't see each other's badges?
- Yes, insert a column named "Passcodes" anywhere in the spreadsheet.
- Add a code word or PIN for each student.
- Students will need to enter their passcode in order to view their badges.
- Here is a demo. Here is a template.
- Important Note: This passcode system should not be considered secure.
- A knowledgeable, determined individual who knows the link to your badges page could access all of the badge information, including the passcodes.
- Do not re-use passwords from other, more important accounts.